Website City of Hamilton
Two (2) permanent, full-time opportunities are available with the City of Hamilton for safety-focused Certified Driver Instructors whose training experience is combined with knowledge of applicable legislation and proven skills in creating professional PowerPoint presentations.
Reporting to the Manager of Business Programs (Environmental Services Division) or to the Senior Project Manager of Business Services (Transportation Operations and Maintenance Division), you will provide on-road development and support to drivers and operators, as well as a compliance program for the Divisions. As a Driver Development and Safety Compliance Officer, you will assist in the promotion and support of driver on-road safety by performing employee safety evaluations and observations, and in-cab driver evaluations, along with correcting substandard acts and conditions, and supporting the development of new and existing drivers.
Your qualifications as a Driver Development Safety Officer include:
• Post-secondary education in a professional discipline combined with extensive Commercial Vehicle Operator’s Registration (CVOR) Compliance, Safety and Training program experience within a large-scale operation in the fleet, equipment, or related industry, or an equivalent combination of education and/or relevant experience.
• At least five consecutive documented years in possession of a “DZ” driver’s licence/endorsement to provide training and testing.
• Certification as a Driver Instructor who is certified to deliver a recognized Driver Improvement Course/PDIC (Professional Driver Improvement Course).
• Certification and/or experience in utilizing adult learning techniques, with experience and comfort in presenting training material and performance measures to a variety of audiences, and creating supporting manuals and reports.
• Experience in training and assessing drivers on a variety of heavy equipment (i.e. plow, packer, grader, hi-ranger).
• Training in WHMIS, Book 7, and Health & Safety and HTA.
• Superior proven communication skills, both oral and written, to deal tactfully with staff, external agencies and the general public.
• Strong knowledge of the Highway Traffic Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Hours of Service, and National Safety Code and Book 7.
• Superior computer skills with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint applications.
• Ability to create complex spreadsheets linking data from multiple spreadsheets to create high-quality charts and graphs.
• Ability to produce professional PowerPoint presentations, complete with video and animation.
These permanent, full-time positions offer a wage range of $42.008 to $49.130 per hour, based on a 35-hour work week schedule.
Hamilton. A city of progress.
At the City of Hamilton, our vision is “to be the best place to raise a child and age successfully.” With our rich history, culturally strong and diverse communities, blend of urban and rural attractions, and ideal location in the heart of the Golden Horseshoe, Hamilton is a vibrant community of neighbours. We are also a leading employer, with many opportunities to grow and excel. We invite you to share in our vision as part of the Environmental Services Division or the Transportation Operations and Maintenance Division in the Public Works Department.
For full details and to apply
If you are interested in working alongside a dedicated team that’s contributing to the well-being of Hamilton’s residents, please visit www.hamilton.ca/careers for details on these Driver Development Safety Officer positions, JOB ID #15217 and to apply online, by Wednesday, April 24, 2019.
The City is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation.
The City of Hamilton values the diversity of our workforce and the knowledge of our people. We thank all who have applied; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit www.hamilton.ca.