Website City of Brampton
JOB TITLE: MANAGER, TECHNICAL SUPPORT SERVICES
DEPARTMENT: PUBLIC WORKS & ENGINEERING
POSTING NUMBER: 105258
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
JOB STATUS & DURATION: Full Time Permanent
HOURS OF WORK: 35 hour workweek
LOCATION: Hybrid Model – when working onsite, you will report to the location of Williams Parkway Operations Centre
SALARY GRADE: 8
HIRING SALARY RANGE: $120,400.00 – $135,450.00 per annum
MAXIMUM OF SALARY RANGE: $150,500.00 per annum
JOB TYPE: Management and Administration
POSTING DATE: March 3, 2023
CLOSING DATE: March 23, 2023
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Director, Capital Works, this position is responsible for leading the project team undertaking the coordination and administration of the program planning activities and providing technical support services related to the annual rehabilitation Program of the division. Coordinates program planning activities including infrastructure asset management, development application review, road operations mapping and support, oversees consultants, supervises technical staff; prepares various reports; investigates improved methods; and develops plans and strategies to protect the City’s interests. Provides direction, advice, guidance and leadership to staff.
- Provide overall leadership, direction and management for all program planning asset management and development application review activities of the division.
- Direct staff to oversee consultants to ensure compliance with city standards and practices, coordinate consultant activities and arrange payments.
- Set out broad goals and objectives according to corporate and departmental strategic plans utilizing a business oriented and team based approach.
- Gather information regarding direction of the division and the organization to ensure current and future needs are being met. Prioritize rehabilitation projects to ensure that the needs of internal and external stakeholders are met.
- Identify areas for improvement and initiate research, development and implementation activities to ensure cost efficiencies while maintaining customer service.
- Assist in the preparation of divisional budget; administer budget and control spending.
- Identify staff development needs and establish development plans; assess staffing needs, participate in the recruitment process and make /authorize recommendations concerning the selection of staff.
- Provide advice, counseling and leadership to staff in the areas of career development, training requirements and performance enhancements; supervise staff, providing guidance and reviewing work performance.
- Deal directly with other levels of government, external consultants, contractors and the general public, and respond directly to concerns from the public, stakeholders and Council.
- Engage directly with the Mayor and Councillors at Committee and Council meetings as well as senior management.
EDUCATION AND REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
- Degree in Civil Engineering with a minimum of 5 year experience or Diploma in Civil Engineering with a minimum of 10 years of experience in asset management, in a similar position
- Registered and Licensed member of Professional Engineers of Ontario or OACET
OTHER SKILLS AND ASSETS:
- Sound knowledge of municipal program planning and development application review
- Experience with municipal infrastructure asset management
- Proven ability to effectively manage using a team based approach and achieving results through others
- Able to handle multiple priorities within timelines
- Sound analytical, decision making, leadership and problem solving skills
- Able to identify areas of concern and provide advice and feedback to staff
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Effective listening skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, able to deal effectively with multiple stakeholders
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
Interview: Our recruitment process will be completed with video conference technology.
As part of the corporation’s Modernizing Job Evaluation project, this position will undergo an evaluation which may result in a change to the rate of compensation. Any changes affecting this position will be communicated as information becomes available.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online by clicking the button above (use for iCIMS) OR at: www.brampton.ca/employment (use for external websites/job boards) quoting reference #105258 by March 23, 2023 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement. A criminal record search will be required of the successful candidate to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
As part of the application process, applicants will be invited to complete a self identification survey. The survey is voluntary. Participation in the survey will have no impact on hiring decisions. Should you wish to opt out of completing the survey, please select “prefer not to answer” as a response to each question. All information collected is confidential and will not be shared with the hiring manager. The surveys will be anonymized and will be kept separate from applicant or employee files, such that the individuals who completed the surveys will not be identifiable. The results of the survey will assist in the analysis of disaggregated metrics for organizational planning purposes and our commitment to advance and foster diversity, equity, and inclusion. The City may use anonymized data to produce aggregate reports for internal or external use.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
or 905.874.2150 with your accommodation needs, quoting the job opening ID#, job title. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
To apply for this job please visit www.brampton.ca.