Website City of Cambridge
People, Place, Prosperity
Working within our Strategic Plan, Cambridge Connected, and committing to our values of Integrity, Respect, Inclusiveness and Service, the successful candidate will work together to help the City of Cambridge achieve our vision: A place for people to prosper – alive with opportunity.
There is an opening for the above position within the Corporate Enterprise Department. Reporting to the Fleet Supervisor, this position is responsible for the following duties:
What you will be doing
• Inspects, diagnoses, repairs and performs all required preventative maintenance of all components and on all types of municipal fleet vehicles and equipment.
• Works closely with other technicians, is an enthusiastic team player and always willing to assist peers in facilitating the completion of maintenance to vehicles and equipment.
• Carries out preventive maintenance inspections, procedures and servicing, and performs periodic mandatory commercial vehicle inspections (PMCVI’s) to meet all regulatory Ministry of Transportation CVOR requirements.
• Designs, fabricates and fits parts, components and assemblies.
• Safely conducts road and operational tests of equipment for safe operation and to ensure repairs are completed.
• Maintains a clean work area clear of clutter and trip hazards and ensures shop tools and equipment are ready to use.
• Assists in the safe movement of vehicles and equipment using verbal and hand signals.
• Able to periodically work outdoors in inclement weather conditions.
• Responds to after hour call-outs on a rotational basis.
• Must be able to work rotating shifts and occasionally extended hours as required.
High school Grade 12 diploma or equivalent
• Valid Automotive Service Technician (310S) Certificate of Qualification from the Skilled Trades Ontario (formally Ontario College of Trades); Truck and Coach Technician (310T) Certificate of Qualification and experience considered an asset.
• Three to five years’ apprenticeship experience including three completed terms of applicable college and the Automotive Service Technician course.
• Valid G Driver’s License in good standing. Driver abstract review will be conducted prior to an offer of employment. (DZ Driver’s License must be obtained within 6 months of employment).
• Meets requirements of Physical Demands Analysis for position.
We will ask you for these items if you are hired
Proof of your current and valid certificate(s) and/or educational qualifications.
Worker Health and Safety Awareness Training certificate from the Ministry of Labour. (may be obtained post offer)
Current and valid Police Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check to be provided prior to commencement in this position.
Valid G driver’s license.
Hours of Work
Regular hours of work for this position, as per the collective agreement, are currently Monday to Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. or 2:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. (40 hours per week) with the requirement to be available for overtime, on call duty and possible shift work, as needed.
This unionized position (Outside Workers) current hourly rate of pay is $35.17 (2023 rate) per hour – additional compensation available for holders of 310S and 310T certifications. Comprehensive benefits package included. Enrolment in Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS).
Advertisement expiration date
To apply, visit www.cambridge.ca/careers. This posting closes on September 27, 2023.
Accommodation needs and protection of privacyto make your needs known in advance. For more information on our Employment Equity, please read our full policy. Personal information collected in relation to the recruitment process is collected under the authority outlined in the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and used solely to determine eligibility for employment with the City of Cambridge only.
To apply for this job please visit career17.sapsf.com.