August – 2016

Subject MEOA Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
Chair Person Rick Ellig
Date August18, 2016

Joe Johnson Equipment Inc. 2521 Bowman St. Innisfil, Ontario


Executive Present Position Attended Regrets
Rick Ellig President ü   
Ray Klochnyk Past President    ü


Jim Thompson Vice President     ü
Don Miller Treasurer   ü  
Dave Sharp Secretary   ü
Mike Fortier Municipal Director   ü  
Bill Barr Municipal Director    ü
Scott Boughner Municipal Director ü  
Andre Boutin Supplier Director  
Cor Bultena Supplier Director        ü
Cameron MacRae Supplier Director   ü  
Diane Shirchenko Communications & Marketing   ü  
Bill Greenhalgh Training & Compliance Director  
Clare Pomeroy Field Trip Coordinator   ü  
Frank Vanhie Field Trip Assistant   ü  


Action Items Arising From The Minutes

Item #

Action Required Comments


Target Date Date Resolved
1 Audit Check if 3rd party audit is required Rick Oct/2016 Dec 31/2016
    Don to contact BDO to ask for guidance on MEOA compliance regarding the new Act Don Miller Oct/2016 Pending
2 Spring Meeting Don & Diane to meet & review CVENT outstanding Don/Diane Complete Remove from list
3 Charity Cheque Present cheque Ray Complete Remove from list
4 Charity Funds From Spring Meeting Don to cheek & advise funds raised at meeting Don Complete Remove from list
5 Spring Meeting Decision for future format All Complete Remove from list
6 Events Co Chairs  *Plus new Membership Committee All Complete Remove from list
7 PD Day Hole sponsorship Mike ASAP Pending
    JJE Ball Mike ASAP Pending
    Draw envelops Ray ASAP Pending
    Draw prizes Mike ASAP Pending
    Registration gift Frank Complete Remove from list
8 Web Site& CVENT replacement Remove old minutes

Diane to follow up with Mike

Diane ASAP Pending
9 Field Trip Locations Clare/ Frank/Scott ASAP Pending
10 Post Conference newsletter Prepare & post on web site Diane ASAP Pending




Notes, Decisions
1) Call To Order Meeting called to order by Rick Elligat 9:40 A.M.


2) General Comments Rick welcomed everyone to the meeting and thanked Andre and Joe Johnson for hosting the meeting.
3) Approval Of Minutes The minutes from theJuly21, 2016executive meetingwere read and adopted.

Motion to accept:CameronMcCrae

Seconded: Scott Boughner,  Carried


4) Treasurers Report Current bank balance (August 15,2016)  $14,124.69

Outstanding payables                                   $612.00

Balance                                                     $13,512.69 

Motion to accept: Mike Fortier

Seconded: Diane Shirchenko,  Carried

** Still have some reconciliations to be completed on Finances

5) P.D. Day


P.D. Day cont’d


Chairperson Mike Fortier provided an extensive status update on details for our upcoming event planned for September 15th at New Dundee Golf Course.

Mike has purchased the draw prizes and Ray has secured the gifts for all golfers.

As of August 17th there are 85 people that have registered/committed to attend

25 Supplier members have signed up as sponsors for the event

Still looking for additional prizes from supplier members

Rick Ellig will contact the Fawcett’s from SUDEP and invite them to join us for the day

Still not sure where the winning team trophy has landed, so we need help in locating it

Ray to confirm with the course the cut-off date for giving them the number of golfers that we are expecting, and also when they will require the names of all golfers for the carts

After much discussion regarding rate for non-members attending, it was decided that we would leave the rate as has been advertised

Mike Fortier will send all members of the executive the info regarding who has signed up, who is golfing with who etc. Please have a look at this information and if you see anyone on the list that is not already registered (and you think they would normally attend) please contact them and then provide Mike an update on those discussions

Mike to send out a list of all those golfing a few days before the event, to the entire membership to make sure that we have identified everyone that will be attending

The day of the event, help will be needed at the registration table, handing out the golfers gifts, getting the hole sponsor signs to the Pro Shop etc. If you have not already been asked to help, please feel free to contact Mike or Ray and offer up your services

6) 2016Fall Field Trip Because of the Canadian Thanksgiving, the trip has been pushed back one week. The plan is to depart Kitchener on Sunday October 16th and return Friday October 21st

Clare and Scott provided an update on the suppliers that have already committed to this year’s trip (Schwarz and Sweepster) and those that have been been contacted but have not yet confirmed their support (Cummins and Allison Transmissions).

Both Amaco and Joe Johnson have offered to look and see if they would have any suppliers that could possibly fill in if Cummins and Allison decline

Scott will follow up with Cummins and Frank will contact Allison to try and get a commitment no later than Thursday August 25th

After that time we hope to be able to send out to the membership a “Save the Date” notice, outlining the details of the trip including companies that we will be visiting


7) Website Much discussion on the status of our website and where we go in the future

Rick has had preliminary discussions with at least one company (Digital North) to source out what changes we need to make going forward, keeping in mind that CVENT will be gone at the end of 2016

It was agreed that lots of work needs to be done, and how we can streamline the entire process to make the site user friendly

Initially a committee of Rick, Diane, Don and Mike Born will meet to develop a list of wants and needs and then engage others (as required)  to move this huge project forward


8) Safety Committee Nothing to report
9) Marketing & Membership All members asked to look at ideas &/or suggestions to increase our membership numbers

Co-chairs Dave & Diane to take the lead so please forward all suggestions to them

10) 2017 Spring Meeting/Fall Show (combined event) As a follow up to last month’s meeting it has been decided to combine these two events again in 2017

Major change from the 2016 event, will be the elimination of the equipment component

All suppliers will be in 10 X 10 booths to allow them to meet with municipal members, and will be given an opportunity to speak to those in attendance. Maximum of 10 minutes per vendor

One concern raised with combining the two events was the elimination of one of our opportunities to get the membership together, although this concern was not shared by the majority of the executive



11) 2017 Field Trip Discussed the possibility of travelling to CONEX in Las Vegas in March of 2017. The event runs from March 7 to 11 with our group looking at travelling on March 6th and returning on March 10th

This would give the group 3 full days to attend the show with Monday and Friday being travel days

Diane to check on flight costs from Buffalo

Those wishing to attend would be required to book their own flights but MEOA would book Hotel rooms for the group



1) AORS Spotlight Advertising Deadline for submitting ad to be included in the 2017 magazine is Friday September 23rd

Diane to confirm the half price charge that has been paid in previous years

Final decision will be made at next meeting

Adjournment Meeting adjourned at 12:50 motion by Andre Boutin seconded by  Scott Boughner carried.



Next Meeting
Scheduled Date September 22, 2016 Oxford County Building Woodstock