January – 2016

Subject  MEOA Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
Chair Person Ray Klochnyk
Date January 21, 2016

Borealis Bar & Grill, Kitchener



Executive Present Position Attended Regrets
Ray Klochnyk President ü    
Mike Beattie Past President    ü
Rick Ellig Vice President ü   
Don Miller Treasurer   ü  
Dave Sharp Secretary ü  
Mike Fortier Municipal Director   ü  
Jim Thompson Municipal Director    ü
Bill Barr Municipal Director ü  
Andre Boutin Supplier Director   ü
Lisa McClelland Supplier Director   ü     
Cameron MacRae Supplier Director    ü
Diane Shirchenko Communications & Marketing   ü  
Bill Greenhalgh Training & Compliance Director   ü
Clare Pomeroy Field Trip Coordinator    ü
Frank Vanhie Field Trip Assistant   ü  









Action Items Arising From The Minutes

Item #

Action Required Comments


Target Date Date Resolved
1 Audit Check if 3rd party audit is required Rick ? Deferred to end of year
    Don to contact BDO to ask for guidance on MEOA compliance regarding the new Act Don Miller ? Deferred to end of year
2 Safety & Compliance Driver certification information on website, plus an email blast with website link Diane ASAP  
2 Newsletter Photos of executive (individual & group) All Jan 21  
    Historical news items Diane & Ray ASAP  
    Past President municipality ID Frank ASAP  
3 Web Site Vendor registration Rick/Diane Feb 1  
    Remove old minutes Diane ASAP  
6 2016 Spring Conference Show layout, booth count work with Strongco Andre


Jan 21  
    Meeting speakers to be booked Bill


Jan 21  
    Mobile Eye’s participation Diane Jan 21  
    Gala entertainment Cost & availability Jim Jan 21  
    Dick O’Brian motivational presentation Bill ASAP  
    Supplier registration package & promotional flyer Diane Feb 1  
    Sponsorship clarification Ray Feb 1  
7 Field Trip Locations Clare & Frank ASAP  






Notes, Decisions
1) Call To Order Meeting called to order by Ray Klochnyk at 10:30 A.M.
2) Approval Of Minutes The minutes from the December 17th, 2015 executive meeting were read and adopted.

Motion to accept: Lisa McClelland

Seconded: Diane Shirchenko,  Carried

3) Treasurers Report Current balance in account  is $22,773.47 Scotia Center cheque for 11,675.62 is due to be issued


Balance remaining after Scotia Centre cheques is cashed 11,097.85


Year end investment balance is 10,716.46 a 500.00 increase from last year


Year end bank balance 19,982.19

Payment to Scotia Bank in the amount of 21,193.00 is due on February 4th. Diane will speak to the bank regarding payment delay so we can have some booth sales & sponsorship money in before payment to the bank.


 Receipts for web site registration are not being sent out issue is being worked on & receipts are being sent manually until the problem is fixed.


Motion to accept: Mike Fortier

Seconded: Bill Barr – carried


4) Spring  Conference Jim is working on entertainment for the Gala dinner.


Speakers for the conference are being worked on & Nathan Barr has been booked. Other possible speakers & presentations being considered are, Diversity In The Work Force, Keeping Your Wheels On (a technical presentation by Bridgestone), Mobile Eye and a possible presentation on bill 68.Lisa will contact the proposed speakers to see if they would be interested in presenting and what their time requirements would be. Bill Barr suggested Dick O’Brian as a possible motivational  speaker. Bill advised that he charges a fee of 1,500.00 is a good speaker & that he can present on any topic given to him. Bill is going to contact Dick regarding details etc.


Some suppliers have been questioning the registration fees & have asked what the benefits are for the additional 270.00.


Audio Visual needs to be looked after & options are being investigated.


Draw for prizes will be at the end of Wednesday & end of Thursday. The more valuable prizes will be held for the end of Thursday draw in order to help with attendance.


 Diane is working on a package that will be sent out to suppliers when they register. She is going to include a show promotional flyer in the package that suppliers can pass out to their customers to promote attendance.


Show promotion to be on the agenda for the February 18th meeting.


Ray is working on clarification of what sponsors will receive for sponsorship money at the different sponsorship levels.  

5) Newsletter Meeting was held January 7th with Phil Dechene regarding information on MEOA history.


Diane is reviewing the old minutes for useful information & interesting items that could be used in the newsletter.


Diane would like each executive to send a photo of themselves that is from 1966 or older. The photos will be used in the newsletter as a entertainment item.


Diane & Ray are working on historical news items that took place during 1966 to be used in the newsletter and or Power Point to be played at the conference.


Frank is working on the list of past presidents to identify what municipalities they were from. There are 10 left whose municipality are currently unknown.       





6) Web site Membership renewal is up & running. The receipt issue as per above is being worked on.


February 1st is the target date to have supplier registration open for both sponsorship and booth space. Diane & Rick on currently working on this. Purchase limits will be maximum of (4) 10 x 10 and or maximum of (2) 20 x 40.


Diane advised that old executive meeting minutes are available on the web and she is looking into how they can be removed. 



7) Action Items Please refer to notes above for all action items.


1) New Business Rick has selected the new charity. Rick & Ray will work out how they are going to handle dividing charity money raised at the Spring Conference between the old & new charity’s. 


  Frank suggested the June 20th-23rd Government Fleet Expo conference in Nashville as a possible  2016 field trip. Other suggestions where the Volvo Truck plant in South Carolina. The Cummins plant & the Detroit Diesel plant. Possible 2017 Field Trip could be Con Expo in Vegas March 7th to 11th. Suggestions to be considered.
Adjournment Meeting adjourned at 1:00

Motioned By: Rick Ellig, Seconded By: Bill Barr, Carried





Next Meeting
Scheduled Date February 18, 2016 Elora, ON Hosted by: Dave