February – 2017

Subject MEOA Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
Chair Person Rick Ellig
Date February 21, 2017

Coppola’s Ristorante, St Catharines, Ontario


Executive Present Position Attended Regrets
Rick Ellig President ü   
Ray Klochnyk Past President ü


Jim Thompson Vice President ü   
Don Miller Treasurer   ü  
Dave Sharp Secretary   ü
Mike Fortier Municipal Director   ü  
Paul Peyton Municipal Director    ü
Scott Boughner Municipal Director ü  
Andre Boutin Supplier Director ü  
Cor Bultena Supplier Director       ü
Cameron MacRae Supplier Director   ü  
Diane Shirchenko Communications & Marketing   ü  
Bill Greenhalgh Training & Compliance Director  ü  
Clare Pomeroy Field Trip Coordinator    ü
Frank Vanhie Field Trip Assistant   ü  
Mike Born I.T. Coordinator   ü  


Action Items Arising From The Minutes  

Item #

Action Required Comments


Target Date Date Resolved  
1 Audit Report to members at Spring Meeting intention to waive audit Rick/Don Spring Meeting Complete-remove  
2 PD Day Lunch sponsor Mike ASAP  


    Mike ASAP  
    Investigate “trick shot” entertainment  Ray ASAP            
    Draw prize budget & gifts Committee ASAP            
    Make up handouts Committee ASAP            
    Registration gift Ray ASAP            
    50/50 Tickets Ray ASAP Complete-remove          
3 Spring Meeting/Fall Show Review ledger & prepare member report  Ray/Jim/Don/


ASAP Complete-remove  
    Book & arrange hospitality room Jim/Cam ASAP Complete-remove  
    Topics & Speakers, forward suggestions to Jim Thompson All ASAP    
    Check constitution for required changes Rick Next Meeting Complete-remove  
    E mail to suppliers re booking booths Jim/Cam ASAP    
    Prepare  budget Jim ASAP Complete-remove  
    Prepare draft meeting agenda Jim ASAP    
    Check re draperies Jim ASAP    
    Confirm final layout with the Notawasaga Jim ASAP Complete-remove  
    Contact suppliers re “new to the industry” and select presenters Jim/Cam ASAP    
    Event photos Ray During Event    
    Post on web site, no outside equipment displays allowed Mike ASAP Complete-remove  
4 Field Trip Confirm dates & details with Detroit Diesel   Clare ASAP Complete-remove  
    Investigate additional facility’s to tour including Chrysler Committee ASAP Pending  
    Investigate tour of City of Detroit municipal facility Don ASAP Pending  
    Prepare E mail to send to members Frank/Scott/Clare ASAP Pending  
    Prepare trip agenda & budget costs Committee ASAP Pending  
5 Web Site Prior to event’s confirmation attendance e mails


Mike Prior to each event Pending  
    Forward current contact information to Mike


All ASAP Pending  
    Send link for new web site registration Mike ASAP Complete-remove  
    Provide draft e mail to Mike re 2017 membership renewal & change to x Cart Rick ASAP Complete-remove  
    Send spring conference/show summery to Mike Jim By Dec 23 2016 Complete-remove  
    Send PD day summery to Mike Mike F By Dec 23 2016 Complete-remove  
    Post refund/cancelation policy on web site Mike ASAP Complete-remove  
    Set up executive area on web site Mike ASAP Pending  
    Send 2016 minutes to Mike Dave ASAP Pending  
    Remove meeting agendas from web site Mike ASAP Complete-remove  
6 Marketing & Membership Investigate corporate membership for 2018 All For 2018 Pending  
    Final newsletter draft & send to out to members Diane Week of Dec 19th Pending  
    Promotional postcard final draft & Save The Date final draft Diane ASAP Pending  
    Prepare & post on web site Diane ASAP Pending  
    Spring Meeting/Fall Show marketing on Jan Agenda Rick ASAP Complete- remove  
7 New Business Replacements for outgoing executive All ASAP Pending  
    Investigate electronic payment at event registration Sept 22 minutes Mike B ASAP Pending  
    Follow up re Dican PD day gift Don ASAP Complete- remove  
    Follow up re Donkey Sanctuary tour Ray Spring Pending  
    Add constitution changes re Spring Meeting/Fall Show to January agenda Rick Next Meeting Complete-remove  




Notes, Decisions    
1) Call To Order Meeting called to order by Rick Ellig at 9:30 A.M.    
2) General Comments None    
3) Approval Of Minutes The minutes from the January 12, 2017 executive meeting were read and adopted.

Motion to accept: Cameron McCrae

Seconded: Diane Shirchenko,  Carried

4) Treasurers Report February 17,2017 balance, $23,406.72.

Cheque for the $7,000.00 deposit has been paid to Nottawasaga Inn, plus a cheque in the amount of $3,164.40 for insurance coverage.

To date, very issues have been reported with members making payments on-line for annual membership fees and registration to 2017 events.

Discussion regarding audit requirements for the MEOA financial records, suggest that the process currently being followed confirms that our association is compliant with current guidelines/requirements for non-profit organizations


Motion to accept: Scott Boughner, Seconded: Andre Boutin,  Carried   

5) Spring Conference And Trade Show Rooms for the executive and the Presidential suite have been reserved for Wednesday night. All members of the executive to confirm with Jim no later than “Friday March 3rd”if they will require a room booked for them.

Currently two main speakers have been confirmed; one from the Ontario Electrical Safety Board, the second will be speaking on “Smart Cities/Drones”. Still looking for one more speaker. In addition to these three main speakers, there will be as many as four opportunities for supplier members to give short presentations on “Products New to the Industry”. Andre reported to having a quote from Hahns to supply tables & chairs plus drapes for the supplier booths at a cost of $5,000.00.

Jim to confirm with Nottawasaga Inn, that tables, chairs, podium etc required to hold the annual meeting will be provided by the facility. In addition, Jim to confirm that hydro is provided/included as part of our rental agreement.

It was agreed that all information that is pertinent to supplier members signing up for the trade show, be sent out asap.

Bus transportation taking all participants from Nottawasaga Inn to JJEI and back to Nottawasaga Inn needs to be confirmed. Bus to leave from Hotel at 3:00 p.m.

A list of all registered participants needs to be sent to Viking-Cives

Cash bar will be available on the show floor on Wednesday night. It was suggested that the hotel be asked if they could provide drink tickets that could be purchased for distribution that evening.

Diane will look after securing sponsorship for this event. 

6) PD Day Dican has offered to sponsor lunch for those attending.

Envelopes including all draw tickets have been printed.

Prizes purchased by the MEOA will include one larger or “main” prize. In addition prizes will be solicited from Supplier members. Ray to bring samples of potential gift for all golfers to the next executive meeting. May executive meeting to be scheduled for May 11th at the Victoria Golf Course, Rick or Mike F. to confirm with the course.

  No current updates. Ray will investigate regarding possible entertainment by a “trick shot golfer” that he is aware of.   
7) Website New website seems to be working well, with some fine tuning still required. From last year’s paid membership (total of 171 people) , all were sent an email notice regarding the website change and asked to renew or update their information. Need to follow up to see how many have not responded to that request.          
8) Marketing & Membership Post card and newsletter still need to be completed. It was agreed the first priority would be getting the post card ready for distribution as early as next week. If the post card is ready they can be handed out at the Good Roads event next week in Toronto. These post cards could also be used at events such as the AORS show, this year being held in Milverton.

All agreed that having a completed agenda, set for the Conference & Trade Show that members could use if required when attempting to get approval would be most beneficial.

9) Field Trip Scott reported that we now have three quotes for the cost of the bus. Unfortunately neither Detroit Diesel of Eaton are able to help subsidise this cost. The trip has been confirmed to run from Sunday October 1 to Wednesday October 4th. Don still working on arranging a visit to the City of Troy Michigan. Cameron looking at possibilities of visiting one of the professional sports facilities in Detroit. Other suggestions include possible tours of either Ford or Chrysler.    
10) Constitution Edits Ray brought forward suggested changes to the constitution, including changes to effective dates, word spacing and language in reference to some events. Changes will be sent to the membership, asking that any objections must be emailed to president Rick prior to the meeting. If there are no objections, then the changes can be formally approved at the conference.    
11) Safety Update Bill reported that with the changes to the Road Building Machinery (RBM) legislation taking effect on July 1, 2017 it will mean that anyone operating equipment that is no longer classified under RBM will need to have the proper drivers licence to operate this equipment/vehicles.    
12) Action Items






Refer to action items above.    


  Mike Fortier advised that his email info has now changed, and that he will no longer have access to his City of Welland email address. Please use cycle1@cogeco.ca


  Ray asked if we wanted to use survey “Tell us where to go” for possible future locations for annual conference . In addition discussion was held about plaques required for the annual conference. Plaques for retiring executive members include Mike Fortier, Ray Klochnyk, Bill Greenhalgh and Andre Boutin, plus plaque for President Rick and the Executive Member of the Year. In addition plaques for sponsors and speakers will need to be ordered. Frank will contact Strathcraft and copy both Jim and Rick so that they will have the contact information to order all of the plaques.

Frank will send electronic copies of ballots used in previous elections ti Rick and Jim.

Adjournment Meeting adjourned at 12:15 motion by Jim Thompson seconded by Bill Greenhalgh  Carried.    



Next Meeting
Scheduled Date March 23, 2017 Nottawasaga Inn 9:30 Start Time