June – 2017

Subject MEOA Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
Chair Person Jim Thompson
Date June 28, 2017

Coppola’s Restaurant, St. Catharines, Ontario


Executive Present Position Attended Regrets
Jim Thompson President ü


Rick Ellig Past President   ü
Scott Boughner Vice President   ü


Don Miller Treasurer   ü  
Dave Sharp Secretary ü  
Trent Crowe Municipal Director   ü  
Paul Peyton Municipal Director    ü
Bill Koch Supplier Director   ü
Cor Bultena Supplier Director        ü
Cameron MacRae Supplier Director    ü
Diane Shirchenko Communications & Marketing   ü  
Stephen Sinclair Training & Compliance Director  ü  
Clare Pomeroy Field Trip Coordinator   ü  
Frank Vanhie Field Trip Assistant    ü
Mike Born I.T. Coordinator   ü  


Action Items Arising From The Minutes

Item #

Action Required Comments


Target Date Date Resolved
1 Spring Conference & Trade Show Suggestions for 2018 locations & dates Committee Next Meeting Pending
    Public Fleet Summit participation add to agenda for next meeting Jim Next Meeting Pending
2 Sponsorship Send invoice out for hospitality room sponsorship Don ASAP Pending
3 Field Trip Prepare E mail to send to members Jim ASAP Pending
    Finalize draft agenda and send to executive for final review Clare ASAP Pending
    Check for additional sponsors Committee ASAP Pending
    Arrange Ford museum tour for Wednesday Committee ASAP Pending
    Post registration on web site Mike ASAP Pending
    Prepare letter inviting AORS members to attend Jim ASAP Pending
4 Web Site Send 2016 minutes to Mike when site has space for posting Dave ASAP Pending
    Investigate new host for increased space Mike ASAP Pending
5 Marketing & Membership Investigate corporate membership for 2018 All For 2018 Pending
    Send photos for newsletter to Diane Ray ASAP Pending
    Send newsletter to e mail list Diane/Mike ASAP Pending
    Send newsletter to AORS Diane/Mike ASAP Pending
    After photo update print newsletter & mail Diane ASAP Pending
    Prepare 2017 newsletter for fall release Diane ASAP Pending
    Send articles to Diane Co Chairs ASAP Pending
6 Municipal Director Position Report back with suggestions All Next Meeting Pending
    Send mail to members asking for volunteers Jim After next meeting Pending
7 PD Day Investigate locations Trent Next Meeting Pending
    Speak with Mike regarding help with event Trent ASAP Pending
8 New Business Post new charity  brochure on web site & link to charity site Jim/Mike ASAP Pending
    OPWA send sponsorship cheque


Don ASAP Pending
    Licensing Changes send OTA information to Mike for posting on web site Stephen When received from OTA Pending




Notes, Decisions    
1) Call To Order Meeting called to order by Jim Thompson at 9:30 A.M.    
2) Approval Of Minutes The minutes from the May 11, 2017 executive meeting were read and adopted.

Motion to accept: Don Miller

Seconded: Trent Crowe,  Carried

3) Municipal Director Discussion regarding currently vacant Municipal Director executive position. The executive will appoint a volunteer to fill this vacant position. Executive members are to contact those who they think may be interested and report back at the next meeting. After that a e mail will be sent to membership asking if any member would be interested in volunteering. Then the executive will make a decision & appoint a volunteer to fill the position.    
4) Meeting Dates & Hosts Dates & locations for upcoming executive meeting scheduled as per below.

August 17- Diane, September 21- Rick, October 19- Dave, November 16-Scott, December 21-Don, January 18-Trent, February 15-Bill. The March meeting will be held at the location to be determined of The Spring Conference & Show. Date to be determined.

5) Treasurers Report Current bank balance $30,904.02 There are no current outstanding payments due. Reconciled balance as of May 31st, 2017 $31,307.99. Spring meeting profit $11,929.87. P.D. Day profit $3,735.72 some payments are still due and adjustments will be made. 

Motion to accept: Diane Shirchenko, Seconded: Jim Thompson,  Carried   

6) Marketing & Membership  Newsletter has not yet been printed on hold waiting for Ray to forward photos. When ready hard copy’s of the newsletter will be printed & mailed out at a estimated cost of approximately $1,200.00. The new newsletter will be prepared for targeted release for fall of 2017. Event Co Chairs are to prepare & forward articles on the events to Diane.    
7) PD Day Feedback received from participants in the 2017 P.D. Day was positive. They thought that the course & meals were good. Attendance of 103 was down a bit from some prior P.D. days. Trent is currently researching locations for the 2018 P.D. Day and that would be within budget and he will report back. He is investigating the Niagara area and will also check The Hockley Valley Inn. Trent will be contacting Mike Fortier who has expressed interest in helping out with the 2018 P.D. Day.         No current updates. Ray will investigate regarding possible entertainment by a “trick shot golfer” that he is aware of.   
8) Field Trip Clare distributed a draft itinerary for review & discussion. Clare will make adjustment finalize & forward final copy to executive for comments. Currently 19 members have committed to attending. There is room for a maximum of 30.    Registration cost is $450.00 and Mike will post registration on the web site.  A invitation will be sent to AORS inviting their members to attend. If any AORS members express interest they would also need to become MEOA members in order to attend.    
9) AORS Trade Show As the MEOA did not have a booth at the show this year Dave provided a report. The show was well attended & Dave discussed the MEOA with those that could be potential members & handed out MEOA promotional postcard to them.       
10) Public Feet Summit Don passed out information regarding the Public Fleet Summit and explained what they do. They are a sponsored group that puts on programs consisting of various fleet  specific topics. As they are funded they will provide sessions at no cost and the MEOA could charge members to attend. Don provided a itinerary of the Washington Public Fleet Summit held June 22.  The program looked interesting with a good variety of technical fleet specific topics and the executive agreed that it would be of interest to MEOA members. Discussion followed as to how a Public Fleet Summit presentation could fit into the MEOA Spring Conference & Trade Show. As no Spring Conference & Trade Show  co chairs were present at the executive meeting Jim will add this to the agenda for the next meeting.         
11) Action Items


Refer to action items above.    


  Don advised that the OPWA had requested MEOA sponsorship for their hospitality suite at the APWA show. In return for sponsorship the MEOA would receive recognition at the APWA show. Don advised that the MEOA has contributed to this in the past and made a motion that we contribute $250.00. Jim Thompson seconded the motion and it carried. Don will forward a cheque to the OPWA.    
  Stephen reported that comment submissions to the Ministry have been made regarding hand held two way radio.

Stephen also reported that he is waiting for information from the OTA regarding July 1st licensing requirement changes. When he has the information he will arrange for Mike to post to the MEOA web site. 

  Diane has received a request from Lesley Parker regarding that a forum be added to the MEOA web site for the posting & sharing of documents. Mike advised that currently we would not be able to do this because of space restrictions on the site. Mike said that we could look at moving the site to another host and he will investigate & report back.           
Adjournment Meeting adjourned at 11:30 motion by Stephen Sinclair  seconded by Diane Shirchenko Carried.    


Next Meeting
Scheduled Date August 22, 2017 TBD By Diane 9:30 Start Time