November – 2016

Subject MEOA Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
Chair Person Rick Ellig
Date November 10, 2016

Elora Library, Elora, Ontario


Executive Present Position Attended Regrets
Rick Ellig President ü   
Ray Klochnyk Past President ü


Jim Thompson Vice President ü   
Don Miller Treasurer    ü
Dave Sharp Secretary ü  
Mike Fortier Municipal Director   ü  
Bill Barr Municipal Director    ü
Scott Boughner Municipal Director   ü
Andre Boutin Supplier Director ü  
Cor Bultena Supplier Director   ü     
Cameron MacRae Supplier Director    ü
Diane Shirchenko Communications & Marketing     ü
Bill Greenhalgh Training & Compliance Director ü
Clare Pomeroy Field Trip Coordinator   ü  
Frank Vanhie Field Trip Assistant   ü  
Mike Born I.T. Coordinator   ü  


Action Items Arising From The Minutes  

Item #

Action Required Comments


Target Date Date Resolved  
1 Audit Report to members at Spring Meeting intention to waive audit Rick/Don Spring Meeting    
2 2016 PD Day Follow up outstanding cheques Diane ASAP    
3 2017 PD Day             All ASAP  
    Send e mail to 2016 hole sponsors as per (6) Sept 22nd minutes Mike October 21       Mike ASAP  
4 2017 Spring Meeting/Fall Show Book date & Hold Notawasaga Inn Jim T ASAP    
    Check tours, activates available in area around Notawasaga Inn Jim T ASAP    
    Topics & Speakers, forward suggestions to Jim Thompson All ASAP    
    Check alternate locations of Hockley Valley Inn & Blue Mountain Jim T ASAP    
    Check constitution for required changes Rick Next Meeting    
5 2017 Field Trip Change draft Spotlight ad Rick/Diane ASAP    
    Investigate bus trip to Detroit area Committee Next Meeting    
    Prepare E mail to send to members Frank/Scott/Clare ASAP    
6 Web Site Set up X Cart to replace Cvent and report cost Mike Born Prior to Dec. 31    
    Download available data from Cvent Mike Born Prior to Dec. 31    
    Check re X Cart hosting of MEOA web site Mike Born ASAP    
    Set up all in one registration with hole sponsor option for PD Day Mike Born ASAP    
7 Marketing & Membership Renew AORS advertisement Rick to confirm Diane/Rick ASAP    
    Newsletter Draft Diane Next Meeting    
    Review PD registration for potential new members Diane/Dave ASAP    
    Review AORS membership list for potential new members Diane/Dave ASAP    
    Promotional postcard Diane/Dave ASAP    
    Add MEOA member endorsements to newsletter Diane ASAP    
    Prepare & post on web site Diane ASAP    
    Diane & Dave to meet MEOA promotional ideas Diane ASAP    
8 New Business Contact OESB Sept 22 minutes Cam January Meeting    
    Investigate electronic payment at event registration Sept 22 minutes Mike B ASAP    
    Contact Paul Payton re replacing Bill Barr Jim T ASAP    
    Follow up re Dican PD day gift Ray ASAP    
    Follow up re Donkey Sanctuary tour Ray ASAP    





Notes, Decisions    
1) Call To Order Meeting called to order by Rick Ellig at 9:20 A.M.


2) General Comments Rick welcomed Mike Born to the meeting & thanked Dave for hosting. Rick also advised that Bill Barr cannot continue with his role on the executive.    
3) Approval Of Minutes The minutes from the October 13, 2016 executive meeting were read and adopted.

Motion to accept: Mike Fortier

Seconded: Jim Thompson,  Carried


4) Treasurers Report As Don was unable to attend the meeting no treasurers report was available. 

Ray advised that he has checked and confirmed that provided required conditions are meet the MEOA will not require a financial audit. Under our status as a non soliciting not for profit organization with revenues of less than a million dollars a audit is not required provided that we complete a compilation. The compilation consists of producing a year end financial document. The financial document must then be presented to the members at the annual general meeting and be 100% approved by the members. If these conditions are meet then a financial audit is not required. It was decided that this is the way the MEOA will proceed and a year end financial document will be prepared as required for presentation at the Spring Conference & Show. The name may have to change so that Annual General Meeting is in the title of the event. Also the constitution needs to be checked to see if any changes need to be made to accommodate the replacement of the prior Spring Meeting & Fall Show by one single event.              

5) 2016 Fall Field Trip Twenty one members are now signed up to attend. Dave Wilton from Stratford had to cancel out and the question came up as to whether he should be refunded his payment or not with no final decision made. Frank reviewed the trip agenda. Clare advised that the bus company (Cherry Bus Lines Inc.) have been difficult to deal with and that we may wish to take this into consideration when selecting bus company’s for future trips. Frank has the sponsor plaques ready and has sent out the itinerary. Frank will send out a mail to remind all attending to bring their passports with them. 


6) Website Mike Born provided a report regarding a suitable replacement for Cvent.  Mike feels that Wild Apricot would not be the best choice because of limitations and costs. His recommendation is to go back to using X Cart which is cost effective and would suite our requirements. Mike advised there would be a cost of 475.00 to purchase the software and then a initial set up cost of around 1,500.00. Purchase of future up dates may also be required.

Motion made by Bill Greenhalgh to accept Mike Born’s recommendation to replace Cvent with X Cart

Seconded by: Andre Boutin, Carried

Mike Born will proceed with purchase & set up of X Cart to replace Cvent prior to December 31, 2016 and to report back with cost. Mike will download whatever existing data that is available from Cvent. Mike will also check to see cost of X Cart hosting the MEOA server and advise.


7) 2017 Spring Meeting/Fall Show Jim reported that the Notawasaga Inn has space available for last week of September or first week of October and cost would be 13,000.00 for 140 people with lunch and space to accommodate 20 to 30 booth’s. Additional booth space could be made available if required. Jim will go ahead book the date & save a block of rooms. The committee will investigate possible activity’s tours etc. available in the surrounding area and will report back at the next meeting. Topics & speakers will be required and ideas are to be forwarded to Jim. Clare asked if the committee could also check the Hockley Valley Inn and Blue Mountain as possible alternate locations & the committee will check & advise.         
8) 2017 Field Trip Discussion regarding complications with room booking registration etc for Con Expo trip. It was decided that the commitment that would need to be made by the MEOA would be financially risky. And that the Con Expo trip may not work as a group trip for the MEOA. Decision was made not to proceeded with the proposed Con Expo trip. Rick will advise Diane to change the draft Spotlight MEOA ad that includes advertising for the Con Expo trip. In lieu of the Con Expo trip the MEOA will now organize a alternate Fall Field Trip. The committee will investigate a possible bus trip in the Detroit area that would start on October 22, 2017.                
9) 2017 PD Day Victoria Park Valley has been booked for Thursday May 18, 2017 and deposit has been made. Cost is 80.00 each.     
10) Marketing & Membership Diane is working on draft for MEOA promotional post card.

Diane is working on completion of the news letter.


11) Safety Update Bill advised that commercial drivers crossing the U.S boarder now require medicals. This may also become a requirement in Canada. Bill also advised that driving impaired by drugs will be treated the same as alcohol.      
11) Action Items Refer to action items above.    


  Rick advised that a replacement for Bill Barr will need to be found to fill his now vacant executive position. Paul Payton stood for election in the last election. Jim Thompson will contact Paul to see if he would be interested in taking over Bills position until the next election.      
  Cor asked Mike Born if he could set up the all in one registration to include selection of optional hole sponsorship for the PD day. Mike advised that he would do this.    
  Ray is following up on the 300.00 payment that the MEOA is going to make to Dican to help toward offsetting the 900.00 cost of the PD gift donation that they made.    
  Ray reported that the Donkey Sanctuary tours offered to the executive are not available on weekends but on Tuesdays or Thursdays. Ray is investigating & will advise.       
Adjournment Meeting adjourned at 12:40 motion by Jim Thompson seconded by Cor Bultena carried.    



Next Meeting
Scheduled Date December 14, 2016 To Be Confirmed 9:30 Start Time